- Accept a completed Request for Documented Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal form along with a letter from the student's health care provider or other appropriate documentation. Remind the student to discuss the implications of this transaction with a Student Financial Assistance counselor, if he or she is receiving financial assistance.
- For - The letter on the health care provider's stationery should specify: the date of onset of illness (used to calculate the percent of refund), the dates the student was under professional care, the general nature of the medical condition and why/how it prevented the student from completing his or her course work, the anticipated date of return to school, and the last date the student was able to attend class. Applications for less than a complete withdrawal must be especially well documented to justify the selective nature of the medical withdrawal request. Reminder: the letter must be typed on the health care provider's letterhead stationery and delivered to the dean's designee in a sealed envelope.
- For The documentation for a compassionate withdrawal will vary, according to the individual circumstances, and must be appropriate to the situation. For example, a compassionate withdrawal request to care for a seriously ill child or other family member may require information similar to that listed under medical withdrawals above. Depending on the situation, other required/acceptable documentation may include police reports, legal documents such as restraining orders, airline ticket receipts, newspaper clippings, etc.
- Contact the student's health care provider or other appropriate official for clarification, if necessary. (It is also appropriate to consult with other ASU officials for assistance in making this decision, such as staff in the Student Health Center, Student Life, etc.).
- Consider all relevant academic or personal information (e.g., number of previous withdrawals, number of prior requests for special consideration, etc.).
- Approve or disapprove the request for a medical/compassionate withdrawal and complete the bottom portion of the Request for Documented Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal form.